logo

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Bugjune  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 28, 2010 5:45:53 PM(UTC)

Woman
I hope I don't drive y'all crazy with the weekly installment of BUG's bumps ... but the saga continues with an odd twist. This past weekend, despite the Kenalog shot last week and applying Fluocinonide cream all over, my rash marched ON - like a wildfire blazing here! Now there! It just marched from lower back and scalp to groin, shoulders, thighs, and finally, including a less severe breakout of tiny, red bumps all over my entire legs, tops of feet and inside of arms.

My derm doc had said to let him know if I didn't see significant improvement by Monday, so today, back again I went. Even he is flumoxed by what he saw. He said, "This is NOT atopic dermatitis, because you would've seen a significant improvement by now." So he did a biopsy on a small area of badly inflamed rash and I will start taking Prednisone as of tomorrow. He thinks it could be a VIRAL thing, and that my body's immune system - hammered by the lasering, staph, cankles, peeling hands and feet, outbreaks, lip blisters, et al, is now on Code RED alert, standing with a ball peen hammer just bashing ANYTHING! The Prednisone should act like a stun gun to the immune system ... we shall see.

Oddly enough, my derm doc stepped out to see a patient while my thigh was being prepped for the biopsy, came back in, and said, "The woman I just saw has a rash like yours - not as bad - but looks similar!" Could this be a viral bug going 'round?

Even more strange, when I got home after a VERY long and WAY hot (100 degrees!) day running around to the doc and shopping, frying my rashy a$$ of on blistering hot car seats, both my husband and I noticed .... the rash .... was ... a tad ..... BETTER! How is that possible? I have no idea.

Did you guys do a White Light on me? If so, keep it up! And if anyone has any insights on Prednisone, can you share them? I was told it would suppress my immune system - even tho I'll only be on it 10 days. So I'm going to hide in a cave and live like a germaphobe till the time's up!
I bug you.

UserPostedImage
Offline stache  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 28, 2010 7:20:46 PM(UTC)

Man
Hang on to your hat. Prednisone is heavy duty. Google prednisone side effects.
Offline DCNGA  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 1:10:06 AM(UTC)

Woman
I've had several dose packs of Medrol for my shoulders. It didhelp, A LOT! It also will slow down your immune system but will do wonders for inflammation. It used to give me severe anxiety but everything causes me to be anxious so I no longer blame Medrol for it, LOL. The anxiety only lasts a day when it happens anyway.

Good luck. I'm sorry this continues!!!
Offline garner  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:30:04 AM(UTC)

Man

Did you guys do a White Light on me? If so, keep it up! And if anyone has any insights on Prednisone, can you share them? I was told it would suppress my immune system - even tho I'll only be on it 10 days. So I'm going to hide in a cave and live like a germaphobe till the time's up!

Maybe you could try something like Biofeedback to regain systemic harmony. Of course, make sure your nutrition is optimal, and perhaps a bit more spartan & plain than what you're used to. Consider taking NEEM internally. Externally, it sounds like you've been slathering a lot of stuff on yourself. Maybe for a few days you should just dab some calamine on your rashes and wear loose linen pants and try not to look at your skin for as long as possible. Avoid hot baths, excessive showering, or overly disinfecting your skin. Get one of those Evian facial sprays to keep you comfortable. Consider getting some high quality Rose oil for aromatherapy. Drink a couple glasses of room-temp water first thing in the morning. I think just about everyone could benefit from taking Triphala, preferably at night before bed. If your feet aren't still cracked and painful, definitely find a Chinese person to give you reflexology. Head/scalp massage is also extremely beneficial. Always throughout the day be mindful of your breathing. Hopefully you know how to breathe deeply -- always in through the nose, never the mouth.

Offline Amber  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 4:16:21 AM(UTC)

Ive had to take a lot pf prednisolone cos of an autoimmune disease - to try and save my sight.

What dose, Bug? And is he tapering the dose down? You shldn't take it for 10 days and suddenly stop. You need a taper.

If you have a choice, take it in the am. It *can* make you feel 'wired' and stop you sleeping.

Offline Bugjune  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:37:26 AM(UTC)

Woman
I'm taking one 20mg pill a.m. and p.m. for five days, then one 20mg pill a day for 5 days. Does that sound tolerable? I am totally new to this - but simply MUST get my inflammation under control!

Let me know your thoughts.

====================================
Amber wrote:
Ive had to take a lot pf prednisolone cos of an autoimmune disease - to try and save my sight.

What dose, Bug? And is he tapering the dose down? You shldn't take it for 10 days and suddenly stop. You need a taper.

If you have a choice, take it in the am. It *can* make you feel 'wired' and stop you sleeping.

I bug you.

UserPostedImage
Offline Bugjune  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:45:06 AM(UTC)

Woman
That is interesting!! How does the Methyl-Prednisone differ from just Prednisone? Or maybe that should be my Google "homework".

But you give me COURAGE. I need to stomp on this inflammation once and for frickin' all. Maybe this will do the trick!

Also, what do you mean by "it slows down your immune system"? Did you just avoid all public contact? If you work, how is that possible? This is the ONLY area that I am even concerned about. None of the other side effects seem intolerable for TEN days. And how long after one stops taking the prednisone do these side effects last or immune system take to get back to normal?

================================
DCNGA wrote:
I've had several dose packs of Medrol for my shoulders. It didhelp, A LOT! It also will slow down your immune system but will do wonders for inflammation. It used to give me severe anxiety but everything causes me to be anxious so I no longer blame Medrol for it, LOL. The anxiety only lasts a day when it happens anyway.

Good luck. I'm sorry this continues!!!
I bug you.

UserPostedImage
Offline Bugjune  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:48:56 AM(UTC)

Woman
Lots of good advice here - and I am definitely going to be mindful of my breathing. This is going to be like a 10-day test for my mind strength. I think deep breathing is very good! And someone else told me this morning to try calamine lotion. It wouldn't hurt to try that on a spot. The all-consuming obsession with it has to STOP. I will have to get into some creative projects and keep busy just for 10 days to get to the end of the tunnel.

I'm hoping that once I stop the Prednisone, life returns to normal, both in mind and body?

garner wrote:

Maybe you could try something like Biofeedback to regain systemic harmony. Of course, make sure your nutrition is optimal, and perhaps a bit more spartan & plain than what you're used to. Consider taking NEEM internally. Externally, it sounds like you've been slathering a lot of stuff on yourself. Maybe for a few days you should just dab some calamine on your rashes and wear loose linen pants and try not to look at your skin for as long as possible. Avoid hot baths, excessive showering, or overly disinfecting your skin. Get one of those Evian facial sprays to keep you comfortable. Consider getting some high quality Rose oil for aromatherapy. Drink a couple glasses of room-temp water first thing in the morning. I think just about everyone could benefit from taking Triphala, preferably at night before bed. If your feet aren't still cracked and painful, definitely find a Chinese person to give you reflexology. Head/scalp massage is also extremely beneficial. Always throughout the day be mindful of your breathing. Hopefully you know how to breathe deeply -- always in through the nose, never the mouth.

I bug you.

UserPostedImage
Offline Bugjune  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:49:48 AM(UTC)

Woman
Yes! Here is a very good list of them that I printed out:
http://ibdcrohns.about.c...ugs/p/medprednisone.htm

And this comparison of corticosteroids:
http://www.aafp.org/afp/980800ap/zoorob.html

stache wrote:
Hang on to your hat. Prednisone is heavy duty. Google prednisone side effects.
I bug you.

UserPostedImage
Offline DCNGA  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 7:25:38 AM(UTC)

Woman
A healthy adult would not likely take a hit to their immune system. While you're having problems, I do not consider you overall unhealthy. Your immune system is a little bonkers right now, in overdrive, and it needs to be calmed down. Prednisone is known to do that. I had no problems with going out in public or work due to immune issues because I'm basically healthy with a good immune system, for the most part.

My mother had SERIOUS rheumatoid arthritis and she took Medrol packs every few months when she was in a particular bad flare. It always helped but you cannot take them continuously as continuous use causes bone thinning. My poor husband takes constant inhaled steroids due to his CF and he has very bad osteoperosis. BUT, this is ONLY a concern if you have to take it month after month after month for years. A healthy, active adult should be fine.

I always took the dose pack that starts with 7 pills the first day and tapers down to one on the last day. I always took mine with food/meals. The reason a dose pack is tapered is that prednisone affects a peron's own cortisone production (adrenal gland--sort of goes to sleep), so you want the adrenal to come back slowly (wake up slowly) on its own, instead of shocking it by stopping the prednisone suddenly. Read the insert with the medication that comes with the script. That should tell you all about the side effects and what to expect. You are not on a long term, big dose so I that is good and I'm betting less problematic.

HTH! But, disclaimer--I'm not a doctor of course, just been around a lot of prednisone and taken it a great deal myself due to shoulder issues. When in doubt, ask your doc.

Offline Amber  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:00:32 PM(UTC)

The taper itself is reasonable, but people vary in how they respond to the size of steps down. I often found the steps down were too big. If you feel weird on the 6th day when you drop, call your doc. After several years of being on and off these damn things continually, I learnt what my body needed.

Also call him if you can't sleep due to the 2nd 20mg dose in the eve. I always took 40mg in the am.

Prednisolone does two inter-related things: it suppresses inflammation and the immune response. Immunosuppression with prednisolone occurs at doses in excess of 20 mg per day, however short that period is for, and whatever your baseline health status is.

So given your immune system will be suppressed, I suggest:

- You maintain a good standard of personal hygiene
- Avoid exposure to all sources of infection. So yes, unless you want a cold or worse to add to your misery, I would stay in. You might be fine, but I don’t think you want to risk getting anything else for your body to deal with in the state you are in. Those people who have to work have to work – and a lot of them get infections - but you don’t.

Some dr’s prescribe broad spectrum antibiotics prophylactically to prevent infections.

Is your derm really, really sure, as surfgirl has questioned, that your staph has gone? Cos if you are still infected, steroids are the last thing you want.

Bugjune wrote:
I'm taking one 20mg pill a.m. and p.m. for five days, then one 20mg pill a day for 5 days. Does that sound tolerable? I am totally new to this - but simply MUST get my inflammation under control!

Let me know your thoughts.

Amber wrote:

Offline MissJ  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:02:03 PM(UTC)

One of the risks of Prednisone is it can give 'moon face'
Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

Offline DCNGA  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:12:26 PM(UTC)

Woman
Yes it can, if taken long enough, Miss J.

If you were about to embark on a several month course of cortisone, I think you might have room for more worry. But, this is only a 10 day course and research says that short term use does not have the same cumulative side-effects of longer courses of cortisone. Part of the reason for taking it is to in fact slow down your immune system. But, I have taken it many times and been around sick kids, my husband who is a walking germ factory, and gone to work and never had an issue. Stomach issues are the worst part for me, but drinking water can hurt my stomach due to all of my reflux issues. I'm just sayin' that I personally don't think you need to hide in your house, but that's just me. You need to do what you need to do and what makes you feel safe. Just don't be afraid to take it, if it may help. And that brings me to my next paragraph:

Okay, now I'm going to say I think you've given ALL of your doctors enough time to figure this shit out. Your best bet at this point, to remove 110% of doubt, is to go see an infectious disease doctor. You must know if the staph is lingering or gone rogue on you. Look how many diagnosis you have had already!! If by, the time you read this you are fine, ignore everything I've just said in this paragraph. LOL.

From a doctor's (he's a Duke graduate in gastro) website and is in very easy to understand format/terms:

http://www.gihealth.com/...n/drugs/prednisone.html

Quote:
9. Immune system
One of the actions of prednisone is to weaken the body's immune system. This effect is beneficial when treating allergies or so-called "autoimmune" diseases like arthritis, lupus, ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease. However, whenever you weaken the immune system, you increase the body's susceptibility to infection. Prednisone does not make an individual more likely to get a flu or catch a cold. But, it can increase susceptibility to chickenpox (varicella) and other herpes viruses. Individuals, who have recovered from tuberculosis, or TB, can experience reactivation of the disease when on prednisone. If you have not previously had chickenpox, tell your doctor. Do not take prednisone if you have tuberculosis (active or inactive), shingles or other herpes infection of eyes, lips, or genitals. You should not be vaccinated against any infectious disease while you are on prednisone especially live polio vaccine. Allergy skin tests and TB skin tests will usually be invalid while you are on prednisone. A small number of patients on prednisone develop yeast infections of the mouth (thrush) or vagina. Fortunately, effective medications are available to combat this problem should it occur.

Offline MissJ  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 4:33:25 PM(UTC)

Makes me wonder if some of the toxins could be sweated out. One way people do that is to take some NIACIN tabs (a B vitamin), the kind that GIVES a flush to the skin and then sit in a sauna sweating. Then go in cold shower. Then back in sauna.

Bugjune wrote:
I hope I don't drive y'all crazy with the weekly installment of BUG's bumps ... but the saga continues with an odd twist. This past weekend, despite the Kenalog shot last week and applying Fluocinonide cream all over, my rash marched ON - like a wildfire blazing here! Now there! It just marched from lower back and scalp to groin, shoulders, thighs, and finally, including a less severe breakout of tiny, red bumps all over my entire legs, tops of feet and inside of arms.

My derm doc had said to let him know if I didn't see significant improvement by Monday, so today, back again I went. Even he is flumoxed by what he saw. He said, "This is NOT atopic dermatitis, because you would've seen a significant improvement by now." So he did a biopsy on a small area of badly inflamed rash and I will start taking Prednisone as of tomorrow. He thinks it could be a VIRAL thing, and that my body's immune system - hammered by the lasering, staph, cankles, peeling hands and feet, outbreaks, lip blisters, et al, is now on Code RED alert, standing with a ball peen hammer just bashing ANYTHING! The Prednisone should act like a stun gun to the immune system ... we shall see.

Oddly enough, my derm doc stepped out to see a patient while my thigh was being prepped for the biopsy, came back in, and said, "The woman I just saw has a rash like yours - not as bad - but looks similar!" Could this be a viral bug going 'round?

Even more strange, when I got home after a VERY long and WAY hot (100 degrees!) day running around to the doc and shopping, frying my rashy a$$ of on blistering hot car seats, both my husband and I noticed .... the rash .... was ... a tad ..... BETTER! How is that possible? I have no idea.

Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

Offline Shaz  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 5:37:23 PM(UTC)

Woman
Bug, I'm hoping your derm can figure this out! Sending WHITE LIGHT PROTECTION to you!!
Pay no attention to Caesar. Caesar doesn’t have the slightest idea what’s really going on. Kurt Vonnegut

UserPostedImage