logo

Please visit Miss J's Store or support Miss J's Forum by shopping here: Amazon.com

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Chris K  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2008 2:38:13 PM(UTC)

Woman
I swear that one side of my face is completely different than the other. Is this the norm?
Sponsor
Please HELP support Miss J's Forum by purchasing things from my shop at Amazon.com This is the best PS message board site on the web because it's not over commercialized. However, there are still BILLs to pay, comcast bill just for me to get on here, tech support and other things associated with the site. Sales are not covering those bills. So, please try to help defray my costs by buying something from my store that you would be buying elsewhere anyway.
Offline Improved  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2008 3:00:37 PM(UTC)

My left cheekbone is higher than my right. A shoe salesman first pointed this out to me, fcol, while trying to educate me about how my right foot is wider than my left foot. My right shoulder is longer than my left, the boring list goes onnnn....(oh snap--I'm a mutant).

My cheekbone 'thang is so significant, I know I ALWAYS throw my head to my left for photos, as that cheek gives a better photo.

ChrisK--celeb. rehab w/DR. DREW (love that guy) is back this Thursday.
Offline cybergirl  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2008 3:10:16 PM(UTC)

I actually brought this question up to a PS in NYC. He said it is rare to find symmetrical faces. Do this experiment. Take a dead on photo of your face. Either in photoshop or with a xerox copy, place a mirror image of your good side over your bad side so that you have 2 good sides. You will find that you still look very strange.
What was Jocelyn eating at Nello's-cat food?
Offline Chris K  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2008 3:19:19 PM(UTC)

Woman

ChrisK--celeb. rehab w/DR. DREW (love that guy) is back this Thursday.

WHAT??

thank you for telling me. I love celeb rehab.

my left side is stronger too.
Offline Chris K  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2008 3:30:45 PM(UTC)

Woman
cybergirl wrote:
I actually brought this question up to a PS in NYC. He said it is rare to find symmetrical faces. Do this experiment. Take a dead on photo of your face. Either in photoshop or with a xerox copy, place a mirror image of your good side over your bad side so that you have 2 good sides. You will find that you still look very strange.
What was Jocelyn eating at Nello's-cat food?

I will try that -- thank you.

Jocelyn enjoyed a Insalata Mista. She kept excusing herself to the bathroom and returned with a sweat. I tried giving her ps advice but all she wanted to talk about was the new Clinique Eye Serum. She said her work was natural.
Offline Improved  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2008 3:31:05 PM(UTC)

Yeah, I brought up Celeb. Rehab waay back and (because I only remember nonsense,lol) I thought you'd said you like it, too. I admire that Dr. Drew so much, I think he's the real thing. Those celebs are a mess, and not the Southern kind.

The symmetry issue--hope we all agree it's over-rated.
Offline rpm754  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2008 3:44:23 PM(UTC)

Man
One side of my face is slightly more developed and sits lower (left side). I never noticed that I had one eye higher than the other until I got my pictures taken at the orthodontist. Has anybody noticed that their asymmetries become about ten times more apparent when you reflect off double mirrors? Mine do at least, and it's kind of frightening. I'm so used to seeing myself backwards.. makes me think how I am truly perceived. I agree that perfectly symmetrical faces are rare, if not non-existent.

Look at Cindy Crawford:

UserPostedImage

both symmetrical versions aren't as attractive as her real face. In fact, they are kind of annoying-looking. LOL at the double mole.

Edited by user Monday, October 20, 2008 4:25:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline lindahr  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2008 4:27:23 PM(UTC)

very interesting, my left side is stronger than the right, hmmmmm, are all of PS crazy people like us have stronger left side, LOL
Offline iblintine  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2008 4:39:05 PM(UTC)

rpm754 wrote:
One side of my face is slightly more developed and sits lower (left side). I never noticed that I had one eye higher than the other until I got my pictures taken at the orthodontist. Has anybody noticed that their asymmetries become about ten times more apparent when you reflect off double mirrors? Mine do at least, and it's kind of frightening. I'm so used to seeing myself backwards.. makes me think how I am truly perceived. I agree that perfectly symmetrical faces are rare, if not non-existent.

Look at Cindy Crawford:

UserPostedImage

both symmetrical versions aren't as attractive as her real face. In fact, they are kind of annoying-looking. LOL at the double mole.

wow. You have some photoshop skills.:)

I like the symetrical version better. It's all so subjective.:)
UserPostedImage
User is suspended until 4/13/2015 6:50:44 PM(UTC) Ryan  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2008 9:11:03 PM(UTC)

Both of mine are very different as well. I'm noticing it more now that I get on cam sometimes (just to show my wares). Anyhoo, my lips are the one thing that is beyond the accepted norm of asymmetry I think. I need several procedures to fix them now- Botox, Kenalog, Restylane, and maybe a surgical reduction. BOOHOOOO.
Offline Delphi  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:50:41 AM(UTC)

I don't know if I read it on HERE or what...but someone mentioned that in the womb, the left side of the fetus develops first or more quickly or something than the right...so that's why most people have a more developed left-side face (or body I presume), than right - I know my left side is more developed too. In fact my left EYE sits higher than my right...it looks very odd...I never noticed it until recently...hmmm....interesting... :-)
Offline VDO  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 9:03:02 AM(UTC)

I have the same problem!!! Uhm, Idk if its normal, i think it depends on the severity of assymetry a persons face has, some mild while others worse. I have really been doing my research, viewing photos of what is called "hemifacial microsomia" (i think i spelled that right) is a craniofacial anomalie which a child/adult's face is uneven (majority cases of uneven jaw+ear). Doctors have different theories of what the cause of this deformity comes from. Some physicians say that it may be cause from the way the mother positions their baby when they put them to sleep.

As for my face, I can see that one side of my jaw is different from the other, I can also line up my teeth where one side is wide and the other is straight/narrow. My eyebrow ridge is uneven as well, one side has a bump while the other is flat and awkward. My upper forehead receeds while the back of my head sticks out. Both cheekbones are underdeveloped but one is more developed than the other. My skull has more bone on one side more than the other. I am going to see a craniofacial-maxilla surgeon specializing in skull/jaw/neck.
Offline sam  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 11:18:11 AM(UTC)

Facial and body asymmetry are normal and only vary by degrees. The dominant hand can usually be determiined by looking at the thumbnails, the dominant being slightly larger. Ocular dominance is easily demonstrated by covering one eye if the object is still in view the open eye is dominant. Many notice the foot on the dominant side is larger. Typically if there is gross hemiatrophy, whether to the face or one side of the body it is due to a vascular event in utero, either disruption or the stapedial artery in hemifacial microsmia or a larger vascular supply in hemiatrophy (this is a simplification as their are other causes of hemiatrophy).
Look at your body. Breasts are not symmetric. Testicles aren't symmetric.
Looking at a face that is perfectly symetric is calming but ultimately bland. Subtle asymmetry causes the eye to explore the face and adds interest and engagement.
JMHO
Offline fixit  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 2:45:14 PM(UTC)

Everyone has some asymemtry, but I would say the worse is asymmetry of the eyes. I have my left eye which is about 2 mm lower than my right and in photos I look like a freak. This is really bad as my eyes stand out alot. When I look in the mirror it doesn't appear so bad but that may just be because my brain is compensating using 3D info for what it believes should sit on the sam horizontal plane. This compensation is not possible with 2D and thus all the true flaws pop out.

The good news is that fixing other features and making them better draws attention away from the assymetry
Offline MissJ  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:05:56 PM(UTC)

The mirror IS a 2 D. LOL

fixit wrote:
...When I look in the mirror it doesn't appear so bad but that may just be because my brain is compensating using 3D info for what it believes should sit on the sam horizontal plane. This compensation is not possible with 2D and thus all the true flaws pop out.

The good news is that fixing other features and making them better draws attention away from the assymetry